Monday, August 31, 2009

Response to Jose luis Mateo

It seems to me that Mateo has defined a process which has worked for him in the past. I find it hard to believe that he would recommend or has ever strictly followed the readings fairly closed prescription to the 'problem' of architecture. I began the reading having been warned by fellow students and decided to pick out a statement from which I might be able to inform my early design processes.

"Ideas are necessary, but the less they imply a specific form the more useful they are"

I have always been one for adopting a strategy early on, which involves a great understanding of the regional and local environment, and emphasizes the use of available technologies, to best inform my design. I find that employing passive and active systems, which often address energy efficiency and human productivity I am indeed implying a specific form, and allows me to focus on the more pertinent task at hand; designing the building not the form.

To be recognized however is the effectiveness of this statement when we (as architects) attempt to address and identify, something which has never been defined before. Allowing furniture to be defined in terms of anthorpometrics, ergonomics, and use, but not take on a specific form will be extremely important for my understanding of both the object and how it can be integrated with architecture.

3 comments:

  1. Nice points. You sound like my professor Vivian Loftness. Ever hear of her? But seriously that is a good challenge to the position of Mateo's paper. The physical, functional, and practical issues of a building are usually the most important to the user, so why not consider that early on? While aesthetics are important, perhaps they can in part be defined by the user's needs. That way you are serving the needs of your client and society instead of the needs of your ego. And if you adopt that thinking, that the aesthetics and form are derived from the needs of the user, than there already exists a level of form at the beginning based on the contexts of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sustainable efforts will only have a specified form if you let them, all green roofs will be green but its your individual ideas on the project that will differentiate your green roof from others. I think you picked the best quote from the reading btw, the project as phantasm doesn't sit well with me, but I must admit ideas need to start as ephemeral as possible to be properly grounded and realized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nico,

    I find it disappointing that your last post was over two weeks ago.

    Rami

    ReplyDelete