Thursday, October 15, 2009

I went about it all wrong!!!!!

As some of you might know, I began working on a 'matrix' in which I could input information from the client, and site to ballance the 'given' needs of a single family house. So how would this have been useful? well I indeed wanted to reduce the scope of subjective design which has been so prevelent in my previous work (excluding any environmental, and construction standards which i allowed to inform my work) and find a starting point for me to begin my project. To leave the client end open as it would have be if i were to use the for mentioned 'matrix' I would need to begin with what are the basic needs in a single family house. This is were my thesis advisor and I found a real problem... If you were to look at the needs of all single families in the world or even in the USA or even in Pittsburgh, the overlap of their needs would be close to none, and would be hardly sufficeint as a starting point to build a thesis project on. Here are some sketches of how mathematically, and diagramatically this is made clear.



After considerable time I was reluctant to simply abandon this method and was curios how it could work given perhaps a certain set of people. Who would be the potential cannidates who would be able to afford such a highly detailed house. If it were possible to census single families, with a household income of X or above what would they consider neccessity and what would the overlaps be. below is a diagram of how the gathered data would perhaps look and how I would sample to have the greatest overlaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment